Monday, March 1, 2010

Homemade Tools Anyone?



The replacement connecting rod arrived last weekend and I quickly got to work matching it to the set.  The average total weight in the set was 625g (185g small end and 440g big end).  In order for me to find out even that bit of information I had to research how to accurately and consistently get the rod end weights.  I eventually came across instructions for building your own rod weighing station; I didn't follow their instructions to the tee (they called for hanging the neutral end on a chain to reduce side torque) but I was able to consistently get the same results +/- 2 grams by keeping the neutral end propped up by a very loose seal driver disc on a 7/16" bolt.

Needless to say, I was a little nervous grinding the rod myself.  After a little practice on the old rod, I felt confident enough to give it a shot.  Overall, I think it came out good.  I was able to get the replacement rod down to 626g with exactly 440g on the big side.  The only down side, is that I really had to remove a lot from the rod (around 12-14g on each end) to get it there.  Now, I'm worried that the replacement rod was too big to begin with and it may be compromised by the amount of material removed.

I need a second opinion.  A blown rod would be a costly disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment