Sunday, February 14, 2010

Measuring Up


In the past week, we've had two major snow storms.  The first brought somewhere around 30 inches and the second brought around 12-14 inches.  That meant work was on hold and I could spend quality time in the garage.  Of course, I had to break down and get a kerosene heater to keep my hands from freezing.

Here's what I've been up to:
  • Measured the connecting rod bearing clearance (averaged around .0015")
  • Measured the piston to cylinder wall clearance
  • Measured and gapped the top and second compression rings (.018 and .022 respectively)
Lesson learned: make sure you tap the connecting rod caps all the way into place, even before hand tightening the fasteners or you may risk a cross-threading epic  I torqued the number 1 rod without making sure the cap was flush, resulting in a cross-threaded fastener.   That was more than just a $65 mistake (the cost of a replacement connecting rod) because connecting rods come in matched sets.  I am going to have to machine the replacement rod to match the end weights of the set.  Yeah, now add a bench grinder and digital gram scale to the cost

No comments:

Post a Comment