Thursday, November 26, 2009

What it's all about


Most guys have a dream car... for some it's the latest sports car, for others it's old school muscle, or even really old school classics. For me, I've spent the past decade and a half drooling over the Dodge Viper, imagining the day that I would be behind the wheel of a 500 hp V-10 powered monster machine. I associate that day with the day I truly achieve success in my career - being able to unquestionably afford such a machine. Sure, I could probably make sacrifices now and find a deal on a used Viper; but I just don't think that would provide the same satisfaction that I'm looking for.

Along the way, I've picked up an appreciation for classic cars and the art of resurrecting your dream car out of long forgotten skeletons. I attribute much of this appreciation to watching my long time friend Jay as he rebuilt, rodded out, and repaired countless customs.

So... for the past few years I've been contemplating taking on a major, long-term overhaul or build project; one that will allow me to get my feet wet without getting too far over my head. Why should I wait for that Dodge Viper?

Then, one day while on vacation with the family in Las Vegas, I saw it. A 1965 A/C Cobra ripped down the street leaving tracks of rubber and roaring like it was headed to the moon. I knew right then that was it!!!

Of course, what I didn't know then was finding an actual 1965 Cobra as a project car would cost between $500,000 and $4,000,000. Within a few minutes of researching, however, I found several companies that make kits for building your own Cobra. To me, that just sweetened the deal. A project car similar in weight and shape to the Viper that I could build myself, including the powerplant.

After researching the different makes, I've decided to go with the Factory Five Racing Roadster. From what I've read, FFR has tried to remain true to the original Cobra while incorporating performance and safety features at a cost that I could afford.

3 comments:

  1. Troy, I looked at that site...there were so dang many options, that you must have built a project car before starting this complex of a project right? Or am I overthinking this...again?
    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not going to be easy, if that's what you mean!? I'm definitely planning on taking my time and drawing knowledge and HELP from friends, forums, and any other resource I can find. There's a pretty good knowledge base at ffcobra.com; and it looks like even a couple of relatively-local kit owners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like many opportunities to drink beer...as if we need any.

    ReplyDelete