Thursday, November 26, 2009

Slow And Steady Wins The Race

I've found the perfect project car for me, the Factory Five Racing Mk3 Cobra replica kit. Even though this is the most affordable of all the quality kits out there, there's still a significant investment involved. So, I've decided to take this project one step at a time and spread the cost over the next few years.

My goal is to have a completed kit for around $30k. I've read the literature on the FFR site and they claim the average build costs around $24k. I'm guessing that's using their basic kit and stock parts from a donor Mustang car. I'm looking for something a little better than stock performance, like in the 500 hp range; but not completely over the top in performance parts.

Here's a quick breakdown of my initial plan and cost estimates:
  • Step 1: Build a performance Small Block Ford 351W engine for under $6000
  • Step 2: Buy/rebuild a performance clutch, T-5 transmission and 8.8" Mustang rear end for under $3000
  • Step 3: Purchase a FFR kit $12-20k
From what I've read, most kit builders do these steps in parallel. These folks also use crate motors and drivetrains; and I'm guessing have a better budget than I do. That's ok, I'm patient and am looking forward to the experience of a crank-to-intake engine build.

No comments:

Post a Comment